Study Intensive Guidelines
The Arcata Zen Group fall study intensive begins September 30, 2018 and ends November 4, 2018. Guidelines for participation in the study intensive include;
- Participation in all four Sunday classes
- Weekday zazen
- Participation in Sunday program at Trillium
- Participation in at least one day of each sesshin
- At least one community service activity per week
- Attend 2 Monday study group meetings
- Participation in 2 Precepts Renewal ceremonies
Study Intensive information and commitment forms are available in the zendo and at Trillium on Sundays.
The theme of the class series is The Genjo Koan: Cultivating a Sustainable Practice Life. Four classes will be held on Sundays from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm. Fees are $5.00 to $15.00 per class sliding scale and scholarships are available. You can attend classes even if you are not committed to the full study intensive period. If you plan to attend, please fill out a registration form.
Class #1 - Effort is required - Sunday, Sept 30th
Class #2 - Developmental practice - Sunday, October 7th
Class #3 - Past and future - Sunday, October 28th
Class #4 - What your eye of practice can reach - Sunday, November 4th
Realizing Genjo Koan, Okumura, Wisdom Publications, 2010
Material available on line:
Various translations of Genjo Koan -- link
Quarrel at Kosambi -- link
Non-violent communication -- link
Right use of power from SZBA & Branching Streams -- pdf
Class #1 - Effort is required
- Before class #1, read the Genjo Koan once.
- Then - I know it’s weird: I am asking you to start part way through a page, almost at the end of the book - please read pgs 197-201 in Realizing Genjo Koan. Read this material once through as if trying to grasp it cognitively. Then read it again at least two more times with something other than intellectual pursuit.
- After class #1, read the Genjo Koan daily. Ideally, read it aloud.
Class #2 - Developmental practice
- Before class #2 read chapter 7 from Realizing Genjo Koan.
- Immediately after class #2, read chapter 4.
Class #3 - Past and future
- Before class #3 read chapter 8 from Realizing Genjo Koan.
- After Class #3 read chapter 9.
Class #4 - What your eye of practice can reach
- Before class #4 read chapter 10 from Realizing Genjo Koan.
Dates To Note
Sept 29 – Work Period
Sept 30– Class 11:30-1:00 pm
Oct 1 – Monday evening informal practice discussion group
Oct 5-6 – Sesshin
Oct 7– Class 11:30-1:00 pm
(Oct 8-11 many people at Green Gulch)
Oct 9 Precepts renewal ceremony 6:10 pm
During the week of Oct 14 – Study session with a partner to be scheduled at your convenience
Oct 24 – Precepts renewal ceremony 6:10 pm
Oct 27 – Work Period
Oct 28 – Class 11:30-1:00 pm
Oct 29 – Monday evening informal practice discussion group
Nov 1,2,3,4 – Sesshin
Nov 2 – Formal Precepts Renewal ceremony during sesshin.
Nov 3 – HSU students will join sesshin.
Nov 4 – Class 11:30-1:00 pm